Summertime is finally here, Crunch Crew, and it’s time to celebrate one of the best parts of this sunshine-filled season: fresh summer fruits and vegetables! Whether you’re taking advantage of your local farmer’s market, shopping the produce section at your favorite grocery store, or you have a garden of your own that you’re tending to this summer, everyone can enjoy the fresh produce summer has to offer. We’ve found a few recipes that celebrate all the in season vegetables there are to enjoy and we’re adding our own crunch too (as always).
Italian Bruschetta with Vine-Ripened Tomatoes & Basil
We’re starting off with a favorite recipe here at John Wm. Macy’s, Italian Bruschetta! It’s impossible to resist the allure of fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes during summer! They soak up the sun and turn into little balls of sweetness that pair perfectly with olive oil, a crackle of salt and pepper, and fresh basil. This recipe is absolutely delicious when you use freshly grown basil and tomatoes–you’ll want to make a whole meal out of this appetizer! All these fresh flavors pair perfectly with our crispy John Wm. Macy’s Grilled Crostini Toasts to create a summery snack that will please everyone at your porch or park party. You can check out the recipe right here.
Veggie-Based Zucchini Boats (With an Added Crunch)
One of the best parts of summer is combining all kinds of vegetables from your garden or the market into one delicious, nutritious, and flavor-packed appetizer (or meal if you eat enough!). These vegetarian zucchini boats are no exception. Make the most of in-season zucchini with this recipe that includes a stuffing composed of cherry tomatoes (which will also be sweet and fresh!), garlic, parmesan cheese, egg, lemon zest, and crushed John Wm. Macy’s Melting Parmesan CheeseSticks. The crushed CheeseSticks add an even cheesier flavor along with binding with the egg to create a stuffing that sticks together. No need for boring old breadcrumbs with us! Check out the recipe below.
- 2 large or 3 zucchini
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup crushed John Wm. Macy’s Melted Parmesan CheeseSticks
- ⅔ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ garlic clove
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Halve the zucchini lengthwise and hollow out the insides, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick rim around each half.
- Chop any large pieces of scooped zucchini and transfer it all to a kitchen strainer. Press out any excess moisture, and then add the zucchini to a bowl with the beaten egg, crushed John Wm. Macy’s Melting Parmesan CheeseSticks, quartered cherry tomatoes, thyme, lemon zest, parmesan, minced garlic clove, and salt. Mix it all together!
- Fill up the zucchini. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and spoon in the filling.
- Transfer the stuffed squash to a 475-degree oven and bake until the filling is set & nicely golden brown, about 16-18 minutes.
Crunchy & Nutritious Veggie Platter
Sometimes simple is best! If you want to fully enjoy the natural, rich flavor of your fresh summer veggies, we highly recommend creating a lovely vegetable platter complete with hummus, ranch-based dip, or a cheesy dip. It’s all up to you! What we definitely suggest is adding a side of John Wm. Macy’s Original Cheddar CheeseSticks to the mix as a salty, savory complement to your sweet and flavorful vegetables.
No matter how you choose to enjoy your veggies, we hope you have a wonderful summer full of flavor, crunch, and fun with family and friends! After all, that’s what the good things in life are all about, and it’s certainly what we’re all about here at John Wm. Macy’s. Until next time, Crunch Crew!