· 2 tbsp. olive oil
· 2 tsp. minced garlic
· 1 lb. fresh baby spinach
· 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced small
· 2 tbsp. Flour
· 2 cups milk
· ½ tsp Kosher salt
· ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
· 1 tsp dried oregano
· 1 tsp dried basil
· 1 tsp garlic powder
· 1 lb. penne pasta
· 1 cup grated fontina cheese
· ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
· ½ cup crushed John Wm. Macy’s Melting Parmesan Cheesesticks
· 2 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. In a large saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat and add garlic and spinach. Cook for 2-3 minutes until spinach is wilted. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepot, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add diced onions. Sweat for 3-4 minutes until translucent. Add flour and stir until absorbed. Add milk and whisk until flour mixture is combined. Reduce heat and cook until thickened.
3. Season sauce with salt, pepper, oregano, basil and garlic powder. Set aside.
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta for about 6 minutes.
5. Drain the pasta and place in a large bowl. Gently toss pasta with the sauce, spinach and cheeses until combined.
6. Pour the pasta mixture into a greased 9 by 13-inch pan. Top with the crushed Parmesan Cheesesticks and pieces of butter.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes until cheese is melted and the top is golden brown.