PEA SOUP WITH CRUNCH CROSTINI
Packed full of flavor, this scrumptious soup recipe warms the belly and the soul! Pea soup is high in protein and fiber, hearty and amazingly good for you. It’s stick-to-your-ribs, warm-you-up-in-cold-weather good.
Topping it with pieces of Grilled Crostini Toasts gives you the texture and crunch you’ll want to contrast with the soup.
· 1 package John Wm. Macy’s Grilled Crostini Toasts
· 1 tablespoon butter
· 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
· 1 medium onion, chopped
· 1 1 stalk celery, chopped
· 2 cloves garlic, chopped
· 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
· 6 cups peas, fresh or frozen
· ½ cup water
· 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
· ½ cup 1/2 cup half-and-half (optional)
· ½ teaspoon salt
· 1 Freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the butter melts. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and parsley; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
2. Stir in peas. Add water and broth; bring to a lively simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until very tender, about 1 minute.
3. Puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Stir in half-and-half (if using), salt and pepper.
4. Break up John Wm. Macy’s Grilled Crostini Toasts and arrange them on the soup and serve sprinkled with chopped parsley